World football governing body FIFA has sacked its chief operating officer Kevin Lamour after the 45-year-old French executive openly opposed president Gianni Infantino over plans to open the organization to private investors.
FIFA announced the dismissal of its number three official late on Monday evening. Lamour, who was appointed to the expanded operational role in autumn 2024, had reportedly been aware his position was in jeopardy after publicly challenging Infantino over the commercial rights proposal.
The Breton executive, who refuses all interview requests according to French sports newspaper L'Equipe, issued a farewell letter to FIFA staff members, notably excluding Infantino from the recipients.
Public opposition over private investment
The conflict escalated in late July when Lamour released a scathing statement taking direct aim at Infantino following an aborted attempt to open FIFA to private capital. In the statement, Lamour wrote that if standing up to the plan meant losing his job, he would accept and respect that decision, adding that at least he would sleep well at night.
Lamour voluntarily stepped out of his customary anonymity to challenge Infantino, taking a stance that few within global football administration had dared to take due to fears over their positions and financial security.
Before his departure from FIFA, Lamour had been tasked with repairing fractured relationships and brokering peace between the governing body and key stakeholders, including player unions, the European Leagues, and European governing body UEFA, following years of institutional friction.
Principled exits from European football
Born in Brest, France, Lamour is a former amateur player for French clubs AS Gouesnou and Stade Plabennecois. He is the son of a former Stade Brestois football club director who served as a police inspector and security officer for the French national team during the playing era of Michel Platini.
Lamour built his career in sports administration during a long tenure at UEFA, where he worked closely with Platini after the former French international was elected UEFA president in 2007. However, Lamour resigned from his post in 2015 after details surfaced regarding a secret payment of millions of Swiss francs made by then FIFA president Sepp Blatter to Platini. Lamour walked out of the organization, publicly denouncing what he described as a betrayal by Platini.
He returned to UEFA a year later under newly elected president Aleksander Ceferin. His second spell at European football's governing body also ended over a clash of principles when Ceferin pushed to extend the maximum number of presidential terms allowed under UEFA regulations.
Reputation in football governance
Colleagues and observers have frequently highlighted Lamour's understated demeanor within an industry often dominated by strong personalities. Speaking to L'Equipe for a profile published on August 5, a former collaborator said Lamour was distinguished by his calm and elegant manner, noting that he spoke quietly, avoided public spectacles, and maintained his humility as he rose through the ranks.
The former colleague added that executives often adopt aggressive postures as they gain power, suggesting that such an approach had contributed to Infantino's current difficulties, while praising Lamour for being discrete and reliable.
Former UEFA colleague William Gaillard told L'Equipe that Lamour possessed the qualities needed to serve as FIFA president. However, Gaillard noted that Lamour had no interest in seeking the presidency, stating that the role did not align with his personal style.
