Former two-weight world champion boxer Zolani Tete has been shot dead in an ambush outside his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana confirmed that the 38-year-old fighter was killed at around 6:30 p.m. on Friday night, August 21, 2026. A 27-year-old female passenger who was with him in the vehicle sustained multiple gunshot wounds and remains hospitalized.
According to police, Tete was arriving at his residence and waiting for the security gate to open when two unknown armed suspects wearing balaclavas emerged from a vehicle and opened fire on them.
Ambush outside Mdantsane home
"In an attempt to escape the hail of bullets, the deceased drove his vehicle into the yard," Gantana revealed.
Tete succumbed to his injuries at the scene despite efforts to save him. "He unfortunately succumbed to his injuries and was declared deceased on the scene," Gantana said.
The female passenger was immediately rushed to a nearby medical facility. "The female passenger sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. She remains hospitalized," Gantana added. Police said the two suspects remain at large.

Mdantsane, a large township near East London in South Africa's Eastern Cape province, is renowned as a boxing stronghold that has produced several of the country's most prominent fighters.
Fastest world title knockout
Tete established himself as one of South Africa's premier boxing talents, earning world titles in two separate weight classes. He won the International Boxing Federation (IBF) junior-bantamweight title in Japan in 2014 before capturing the World Boxing Organization (WBO) bantamweight crown, which he held from 2017 to 2019.
He achieved global fame in 2017 by setting a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a world title fight. Tete needed just 11 seconds to knock out fellow South African boxer Siboniso Gonya during a WBO bantamweight title defense.
Tete last fought in London in July 2022, defeating Jason Cunningham by knockout for what was initially recorded as his 30th professional win in 35 fights. However, the outcome was later ruled a no-contest after Tete failed a post-fight drug test.
Doping ban and planned comeback
A year after the London bout, the UK Anti-Doping Agency issued Tete a four-year ban after he tested positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid. His suspension officially concluded on July 29 this year.
Following his death, Tete's manager, Mla Tengimfene, confirmed that the boxer had resumed training and was preparing for a comeback fight scheduled for November 29.

Speaking to boxing outlet The Ring earlier this year while still serving the ban, Tete maintained his innocence. "It's been a tough and long journey and I am happy its finally coming to an end," Tete told The Ring, maintaining: ", I don't accept the ban because I'm a clean and fair athlete."
Asked if he planned to return to professional competition, Tete expressed confidence about returning to the ring. "Oh yes definitely, my plan is still unfinished," he said defiantly. "It's been a while since I stepped inside the ring, I am looking forward to my comeback fight and getting back to winning ways."
Tributes from Boxing South Africa
News of Tete's death brought an outpouring of tributes from across the boxing world, including an official statement from national governing body Boxing South Africa (BSA).
"Boxing South Africa (BSA) has learnt with profound shock and sadness of the untimely passing of former IBF Junior Bantamweight and WBO Bantamweight World Champion, Zolani 'Last Born' Tete," the organization stated. "The tragic incident reportedly occurred on the evening of Friday, 21 August 2026, in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Tete family, his manager Mlandeli Tengimfene, the All-Winners Boxing Club, and Last-Born Boxing Promotions during this incredibly difficult time."
The governing body described Tete as "more than a champion" and "an icon of South African boxing," noting his roots in the famed All Winners Mdantsane boxing stable. BSA praised his career milestones, adding: "He etched his name in history as one of the country's few two-weight world champions. His achievements in the ring from winning the IBF junior-bantamweight title in Japan in 2014 to claiming the WBO bantamweight crown, inspired a generation of fighters."
BSA also acknowledged his world record, noting that "his legacy includes holding the record for the fastest world title defence in boxing history, needing just 11 seconds to stop Siboniso Gonya in 2017."
Extending condolences to his family, friends, and the boxing community, BSA concluded: "The sport has lost a true warrior and ambassador. Further details regarding official tributes and memorial arrangements will be shared upon engagement with the Tete family. We kindly request that the family's privacy be respected during this period of mourning."
