Atalanta midfielder Ederson has admitted he is still confused about why his £39 million move to Manchester United collapsed earlier this summer.
The 27-year-old was set to join the Premier League club as part of a midfield rebuild, with the structure of the deal and personal terms agreed. However, United pulled the plug on the transfer in early July after an initial medical reportedly revealed a knee problem.

Ederson has since signed a new contract with Atalanta and spoke about the failed move ahead of the Italian side's Conference League play-off against Hapoel Tel Aviv on Thursday.
"I honestly don't know what happened," Ederson said. "I always had interest from other clubs, and I could've gone to another English side."

"The tests went well, I don't know what changed. I've been with Atalanta for four years and always played," he added. "I could've just waited to see what happened, but the great rapport with the club convinced me to stay and sign a new contract."
Medical complications in the US
United had intended to complete the transfer in early July. However, the first part of Ederson's medical had to be conducted in the United States after he received a late call-up to Carlo Ancelotti's Brazil squad for the World Cup, replacing the injured Roma defender Wesley.
Following the emergence of the knee issue, a full medical with specialist input was scheduled for after Brazil's exit from the tournament. United subsequently decided against completing the deal on the agreed terms.

Sources, who expressed sympathy for the player and his family, categorically denied that United called off the transfer before the full medical took place. However, the resulting uncertainty led the club to pursue alternative targets.
United instead moved for Youri Tielemans and brought in Andrey Santos from Chelsea for £50 million, while they are also hoping to sign Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba before the transfer window closes.
Commitment to Atalanta
Despite the collapse of the move, Ederson said he is at peace and expressed his excitement for the new season with Atalanta, where he has made 180 appearances over the past four seasons, including 41 in the 2025-26 campaign.
"I had lovely moments going to the World Cup with Brazil, and then... I still don't know what happened to be honest," he said. "But the important thing is that I was able to deal with the situation, return with the right mentality and give my all to the club that gave me so much."
"I am still Ederson, everyone knows me here and what I can do, they know I will always give my all," he added.
Ederson highlighted the support he received from Atalanta and the club's chief executive, Luca Percassi, during the uncertainty.
"I am very happy to remain with Atalanta, I really thank the club and Luca Percassi. They called me many times, I felt they were by my side, but even though I had interest from other clubs, after everything that happened, I thought it was best to stick with who really wanted me, and that was always Atalanta."
"I was happy to wear the jersey that has given me so much joy."
