Skip to content
Boxing

Tyson Fury claims Anthony Joshua fight is off over money

Tyson Fury says his planned heavyweight bout with Anthony Joshua is off after accusing promoter Eddie Hearn of demanding more money from Saudi Arabia.

Tyson Fury claims Anthony Joshua fight is off over money

Tyson Fury has claimed his long-awaited heavyweight fight against Anthony Joshua is set to be called off, accusing promoter Eddie Hearn of demanding more money from Saudi boxing officials.

The 38-year-old heavyweight stated in a video posted to Instagram that the prospective bout does not look like it is going to happen. Fury and Joshua were understood to have signed contracts to fight on November 20 in New York City, but the deal has now stalled over financial terms.

Hearn, Joshua's long-term promoter, previously insisted that further work was required on the deal. Although Hearn revealed that Joshua's contract contained a clause requiring the fight to be held in Britain, reports emerged this week that an agreement had been made to stage the contest at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Tyson Fury has suggested his fight against Anthony Joshua is now unlikely to happen

In his social media post, Fury directed an explosive rant at Hearn and accused him of trying to extract extra money from Saudi boxing supremo Turki Alalshikh. Fury claimed Hearn was using the proposed Fury-Joshua fight to help fund his other Saudi-linked sports events across snooker, boxing and darts.

"Quick update: Doesn't look like they're going to sign the fight, doesn't look like it's going to happen. All because Eddie Hearn and that want more money," Fury said.

"They've already had that much money off of Turki in the last few years, Eddie and AJ. They've had boxing deals, darts deals, snooker deals, they've had everything. And yet they've had the audacity and cheek of flea-bitten rats to ask for more money from Turki, who's given you everything combined in the last couple of years."

Fury added: "You're disgusting, money-thirsty pieces of shit. It is what it is, same old cliche a decade later, keep running you little cowards."

Fury's rant included barbs at promoter Eddie Hearn and 'coward' Joshua

Dispute over money and match location

Fury dismissed claims that Joshua's management was holding out for a British venue, asserting that the negotiation tactics were aimed solely at securing higher payouts for an American fight.

"All this talk of, 'We want the fight in England, we want this, we want that'. It's only to get more money to go to America," Fury said.

"Look at the money he's had off Turki, and yet he still has to do darts deals and snooker deals off the back of my fight. That's got fuck all to do with you, Eddie. You're paid a percentage of Joshua's wages. You're not the promoter, you're not f*** all. You're just a bag carrier like you've always been. End of."

Both Fury and Joshua are among the most prominent figures in modern heavyweight boxing. Fury, who calls himself the "Gypsy King," and the 36-year-old Joshua have spent years negotiating a potential clash to settle their long-standing British rivalry. Turki Alalshikh, head of Saudi Arabia's General Entertainment Authority, has become a major financial driver in international boxing in recent years, bankrolling headline cards and cross-promotional sporting events.

Personal attacks over social media video

Fury also turned his anger directly toward Joshua, criticizing him over recent video footage showing him performing stunts on a golf buggy while on holiday.

The clip surfaced eight months after Joshua survived a serious car crash in which two of his closest friends died. Earlier this week, former boxing champion Johnny Nelson publicly described Joshua as "dangerous, reckless and stupid" for sharing the golf buggy stunt online.

Fury said Joshua had 'not learned his lesson' after a golf buggy video emerged this week

Referencing the video, Fury questioned Joshua's focus and discipline ahead of a major world title bout. "Tell you what it is, I've never seen such cowardly-a** men in my life," Fury said. "You got one sausage up and down on holiday trying to jump off golf buggies. Has he not learned his lesson? He could break his arm, break his leg. Fight's off. Don't even give a f*** about the fight. You pieces of s***. Cowards."

In a subsequent video, Fury escalated his verbal assault, calling Joshua a "50 pence drug-dealing f***ing idiot" and dismissing his athletic training routine.

In 2011, Joshua avoided a prison sentence for possession of cannabis after being found not guilty of intent to supply.

"A few muscles don't scare me. Lifting a few weights and doing a couple of CrossFit sessions don't bother me," Fury said. "I'd drink 20 pints and still beat the f*** out of you. I won't be bothered for you or 50 men like you, that's a f***ing fact. Cause I'm the f***ing Gypsy King, and I'll tear you to pieces, you piece of s***. You and your f***ing full team. Eddie Hearn's a w****r, they're all f***ing scumbags. All scumbags!"

Alternative fight options

Following the breakdown in talks, Fury stated that he will not wait indefinitely for Joshua's team to sign the contract. The heavyweight confirmed he is threatening to pursue a different opponent for his scheduled November return if an agreement cannot be reached.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *