Skip to content
Basketball

Enes Kanter Freedom vows to dunk on Angel Reese in WNBA bid

Former NBA center Enes Kanter Freedom says he has entered the 2027 WNBA Draft and plans to target Atlanta Dream forward Angel Reese.

Enes Kanter Freedom vows to dunk on Angel Reese in WNBA bidCC Composite Editor

Former NBA center Enes Kanter Freedom has named Atlanta Dream forward Angel Reese as his first target if he succeeds in his plan to play in the WNBA.

The 6-foot-10 veteran, who spent 11 seasons in the men's league, announced he will declare for the 2027 WNBA Draft. His decision comes amid ongoing debate surrounding the involvement of transgender athletes in sports.

Enes Kanter Freedom has declared for the 2027 WNBA Draft amid trans athlete debate

Freedom has sparked widespread criticism for the move. He claimed earlier this month that he had reviewed current eligibility guidelines and planned to move forward with his bid, a plan he shares with former player Royce White.

After watching Reese and the Dream lose an overtime game to the Indiana Fever, Freedom directed a social media message at Reese, vowing to dunk on her as soon as he gets the chance.

Freedom has said he wants to join the Fever to play alongside Caitlin Clark.

"Sis! Once I go No. 1 pick in the 2027 @WNBA Draft, the first player I'm dunking on is Angel Reese," Freedom wrote on X. "She's the Paul George of the #WNBA. Just lean into the podcast already."

Angel Reese has been warned by Kanter that his first target will be to dunk on her in the WNBA

The comment appeared to reference nine-time NBA All-Star George, who has become increasingly associated with his show, "Podcast P", over his on-court performances in the latter stages of his career.

WNBA draft declaration

Freedom shared a letter dated August 6 that he said he sent to WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert. The document has been described as provocative.

"Please accept this formal document as my official written notification to the Women's National Basketball Association of my voluntary decision to enter the player pool for the 2027 WNBA Draft," the letter read.

Freedom wrote that he was submitting the notice to exercise his draft rights under the current collective bargaining agreement. He affirmed that he meets the requirements of Article XIII, Section 1(b), stating he is at least 22 years old and has no remaining intercollegiate eligibility.

Kanter, who is 6ft 10in tall, spent 11 seasons in the NBA, playing for five teams

"I request that the WNBA League Office verify receipt of this document and direct any future communications to my personal email address listed above," he wrote, thanking the league for processing his registration.

Freedom also published a video confirming the move.

"It's officially official," Freedom said. "I just declared for the 2027 WNBA Draft in April. Join me in this journey."

Athlete eligibility debate

The WNBA has recently been engulfed by controversy over transgender athletes. The issue intensified after Fever star Sophie Cunningham said in a recent interview that she wants to "protect young girls" from "biological men".

WNBA general managers and presidents met last Wednesday as part of an anti-hate task force to discuss athlete eligibility amid the debate.

The executives determined there were no issues with the current eligibility criteria, suggesting that no changes were needed. The league announced there were "no immediate eligibility matters affecting" the WNBA at this time.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *