Olympic medalist, swimming world record holder Kliment Kolesnikov admitted he was sad about the unrealized potential in the sport, but he continues to await a general decision on the situation with the admission of the Russians.
Russian swimmers have been suspended from competing internationally under the auspices of World Aquatics due to the situation in Ukraine. IOC issued recommendations on the possible return of the Russians to the biggest competitions. Recommendations include neutral status, individual admission, no contracts with law enforcement and armed forces.
– We will wait for the decision of our federation, in general, the general decision of our sport. We will be with them. A team is a team, Kolesnikov told .
– Are you internally prepared not to have a start at the World Championships in Fukuoka?
– Most likely – yes, it will be so … In general, when communicating with those you know, with whom you swam – there is no negativity. You read foreign sites – we are not expected anywhere. The emphasis on preparation in any case is on the Olympics. There may be common ground.
– Before the Tokyo Olympics, did you perceive all these stories more easily with a possible non-admission?
– Now there is already a realization that there are still unrealized things in a sports career … And if the situation develops in such a way that you cannot achieve them, and you have prepared for them all your life, it becomes really sad.
On the other hand, every year I find something new, interesting for me, my view of the world changes … In extreme cases, you can live without the gold medal of the Olympics.
Source : MatchTV
I’m John White and I’m an experienced journalist working in the news industry. My specialty is covering sports news, which I’ve been doing for over 6 years now. During this time, I have worked as an author with Athletistic, a popular online news website focusing on sports topics.