The Arizona Diamondbacks placed second baseman Ketel Marte on the restricted list on Monday night after the All-Star infielder failed to show up for a road game against the Boston Red Sox.
Arizona announced the roster decision just 15 minutes before first pitch at Fenway Park in Boston. To fill Marte's spot on the active roster, the team recalled infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno, the Diamondbacks' top minor league affiliate.

In Major League Baseball, the restricted list is an administrative roster designation reserved for players who are under contract but absent for personal, legal, or non-baseball reasons. Players designated on the restricted list are removed from the team's active roster and do not receive pay for the duration of their absence.
Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo addressed reporters after Monday's game, explaining that Marte was dealing with a personal matter but confirming that the player was physically fine. Lovullo stated that the team made the roster move following a lack of communication from Marte throughout the day.
"Very little [communication] this morning, this afternoon, I was just doing my best to reach out to him and there was very little coming back," Lovullo said.
Unexplained Absence in Boston
Questions remain over Marte's timeline prior to Monday's game. On Sunday evening, Marte posted a story on his Instagram account indicating that he had landed in Boston with the Diamondbacks traveling squad. According to John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports, Marte was subsequently seen socializing at a hotel bar with a group of people around 11:00 p.m. on Sunday night.
However, Nick Piecoro of AZCentral.com reported that Marte never arrived at Fenway Park on Monday ahead of the contest. Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen told Piecoro that the organization believed Marte was still in Boston as of Monday night, though Hazen noted he was uncertain when the second baseman would return.

Second Career Placement on Restricted List
Monday's designation marks the second time in Marte's career, and the second time in two seasons, that Arizona has placed him on the restricted list. The Diamondbacks previously placed Marte on the list last year after his home in Arizona was burglarized, resulting in the theft of $400,000 worth of property.
Marte is currently in the second year of a six-year, $105 million contract extension with Arizona. The veteran infielder was the subject of trade rumors earlier in the season, but the Diamondbacks opted not to move him prior to the trade deadline.

Through his appearances so far this season, Marte has posted a249 batting average and a760 on-base plus slugging (OPS) percentage, recording 21 home runs and 67 RBIs for the Diamondbacks.

